How You Can Help End Family Separation and Support Immigrant Children
1. Learn the Facts About Family Separation
There is no law requiring the separation of parents and children at the border. These separations are a barbaric and cruel tactic the administration is using to deter families from seeking asylum. Read more about this issue and the Young Center’s response here and here.
Listen to our recent webinar where Young Center staff from across the U.S. discuss the impact of family separations in their location.
Sign up to get action alerts about ongoing legislative developments and other news from the Young Center here.
2. Contact Your Elected Officials
- Elected officials who have not yet stepped up to say that “taking children from parents is immoral and un-American” need to hear from you. Call your Senators and Representatives to urge them to support the Keep Families Together Act, a bill which would stop these separations.
Ask your Senators and Representatives to reject legislation that would eliminate currently existing protections for immigrant children. Tell them “children must not be used as bargaining chips.”
Become a Young Center Child Advocate. Child Advocates meet one-on-one weekly with a detained child and assist Young Center staff in advocating for that child’s best interests. Fill out this form to be notified when we have a Child Advocate training near you!
If you are an attorney or fluent in another language, contact a local legal services provider to volunteer.
4. Donate to the Young Center
- Every donation allows us to find more ways to help – to serve another child, to recruit and train another volunteer, and to provide support to families during this time of tremendous uncertainty and stress. Please consider donating or hosting a Facebook fundraiser to support the Young Center’s work in helping to reunite families.
5. Spread the Word
Tell your friends, your neighbors, and your community about what’s happening. Send them to our website for more information.
Tag the Young Center and use the hashtag #KeepFamiliesTogether in your posts to amplify your voice.
Write a letter to your local paper expressing your outrage that our government would take children from parents just to deter families from seeking protection in the U.S.
Together, we can make a difference!
For a PDF version of this article, click here.